Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Natural Birthing Celebrities

For the next few Friday's I will be featuring Celebrities that have helped bring back Natural Parenting in one form or another. It all starts at birth. See who has had a Natural Childbirth and their thoughts on it.  

Cesarean rates in the United States have reached an all time high of 35% and this number is climbing. This may be why there was a 20% increase in the number of home-birth in the United States over the last five years, this number is climbing as well.  Home-births may still only count for 1-2% of the births in the United States, but this increase shows that women are becoming more educated about their birthing choices. Realizing that it is possible to have an intervention free birth at home, or in water, or even at a birthing center.

Ricki Lake "BBB"
Ricki Lake has definitely become one of the Hollywood faces advocating natural birth. Her documentary, "The Business of Being Born" (BBB) gives a look inside hospital births, how they are setup to go a certain way and it can be very difficult to brake that cycle.  She also shared her home water-birth of her second son. The four part series “More Business of Being Born” also includes “Celebrity Mother’s Talk Straight Birth”.  Against popular opinion, not all of Hollywood wants a scheduled designer birth followed by a tummy tuck. 

Take a look at who in Hollywood have had a natural birth, home-birth, water-birth, and even some unassisted births. See what they have say about there amazing experience. I was sure to included some of the proud celebrity dads who have supported the wives!


Jessica Alba
Actress Jessica Alba and husband Cash had a Hypno-Birth. She told Us Weekly about the delivery of her daughter Honor saying, "I didn't scream. It was really Zen. The labor was more like a meditation. I did yoga breathing."

Pamela Anderson
 Actress Pamela Anderson with then husband Musician Tom Lee Jones, said on Larry King “I gave birth at home both times natural with a midwife, in water with nothing. Not even Tylenol."


Erykah Badu
Singer Erykah Badu, had all three of her children at home. She says. “Maybe to some it’s scary, but preparation is the whole key. When a mother has found out she’s going to have a baby, her whole life — her diet, her mood, her energy — should kind of prepare her. After she prepares herself, fear is never a part of it. I expected success and health, so I made sure I surrounded myself with it. By the time I had my third baby, childbirth seemed a very natural part of life to me.” Erykah, now works as a Doula and is training to be a Midwife, she says her clients refer to her as “Erykah Ba-Doula”.



Maria Bello
Actress Maria Bello told People she "can’t imagine giving birth in a sterile environment like a hospital," she labored in her own bed with a midwife during a thunderstorm for 22 hours.

Gil Bellow & Rya Kihlstedt
Actor Gil Bellow’s wife Actress Rya Kihlstedt had a home birth and with the help of a midwife he deliver his daughter. "I was the first person to see Ava's head come out." he told People.

Actress Mayim Bialik is very open about her home birth in her article for TODAYMoms she writes, "Home-birth is right for people who want to take natural
birth to the next level:
Mayim Bialik
Let me birth in the place this baby was created. Let me labor on the floors I paced in anticipation, let me labor in the rooms of the house where I mused on sleepless nights what this moment would be like. Let me birth with the smells of the kitchen and the faint giggles of the boy who will be this child's buddy. Let me birth with music playing, with my grandfather's prayer books looking down on me, with my hair flowing, my inhibitions gone, the doors of my home flung wide open as if to say: I am open to this process, World. I was made to birth this baby!"

Lisa Bonet & Lenny Kravitz
Actress Lisa Bonet with then husband Musican Lenny Kravitz gave birth to their daughter Zoe Isabella at home in 1988. Lisa, also welcome another daughter, Lola, at home.

Gisele Bundchen & Tom Brady
Model Gisele Bundchen with husband Quarterback Tom Brady had a water-birth at their Boston home. She stated on her Blog, “I am blessed to have been able to have a home-birth surrounded by love, where I was able to feel safe. It was a powerful experience. I never felt so vulnerable but so strong at the same time. It was amazing to experience my body become free to do what it was made to do by allowing my mind and my body to let go and be free to experience the changes taking place within… I was just there… focusing on my breathing and relaxing the best that I could… so present, to witness the biggest miracle in my life happen before my very own eyes. To give life to another being, what a gift!”

Asia Carrera
Adult Actress Asia Carrera gave birth at home unassisted just six weeks after husband died. She writes, "Right now, I feel like a million bucks. Right now, I feel like I can take on the world! Hell, I delivered a baby all by myself, and I feel great!" You can read her full birth story on her blog at Baby Don Birth Story.

Cindy Crawford
Model Cindy Crawford had both her children at home. On her website she has listed “Giving birth to both my children at home in my bed.” as her Proudest Moment. In her interview with BBB she says, “I delivered my baby. It was so empowering for me. I could take that and frame that into being a new mom when you’re sort of insecure. I felt like I just ran a marathon.”

Jennifer Connly
Actress Jennifer Connelly had a water-birth with her 3rd child, daughter Agnes in their New York City Apartment as reported by People.


Ani DiFranco
Musician Ani DiFranco has been quoted saying, “It makes me really sad that women have been ejected from the seat of their power in this society in terms of what happens around childbirth. In other parts of the world, there are women who can’t drive a car, but they’re still in charge of childbirth... Birthing naturally, as most women do around the globe, is a superhuman act. You leave behind the comforts of being human and plunge back into being an animal... Its indeterminate length, the mystery of its process, is so much a part of the nature of birth. The regimentation of a hospital that wants to make it happen and use their gizmos to maximum effect is counter to birth in general.”

Taye Diggs & Idina Menzel
Actor Taye Diggs' wife Actress Idina Menzel had a natural labor, with a midwife. Taye was boasting to Ellen that she used "No drugs. She is a warrior. I was holding her hands and cheering her on. I said I would look two times. I would look when the baby was crowning, and I wanted to look right when Walker came out. And then when he came out, all of a sudden it was like my inner gangster came out. I was like, 'Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about, that's my boy!'"

Joely Fissher
Actress Joely Fisher talked about the home-birth of her second daughter on Ellen, "I had this miraculous birth (second birth) and the first one was fine... But I decided to have her (second birth) at home and had a lot of friends around and of course her father was there... the doctor, the doula, the midwife, the butcher, baker, and candlestick maker.

Nelly Furtado
Singer Nelly Furtado is a self-described “hippie mum” who, when asked about her daughter Nevis’ entry into the world, simply replied, “I had a home-birth with midwives”. Reported by People.

Alyson Hannigan
Actress Alyson Hannigan, daughter, Satyana was born at home. In an interview with Women’s Day  she said “I use a midwife and a doula. We had the option of having a doctor there, but even he said 'you’ll only need me if you need to be transferred to the hospital'… I wanted to be as comfortable as possible when I gave birth, and there’s no place I’m more comfortable than my own home. I wanted a comforting and positive environment; in my opinion, hospitals are for sick people.”

Melora Hardin
Actress Melora Hardin in and interview with Parents says “I wanted to have a completely natural birth. Everybody feels really safe and comfortable somewhere, and for me it wasn't at the hospital. When I read about birth -- most animals go into a cave and get really private, in the dark and alone -- home-birth just made sense to me.”

Melissa Joan Hart
Melissa Joan Hart underwent "a lot of medical intervention" during the birth of her first son Mason. She wanted a drug-free childbirth when it came time to deliver her second son Braydon. She told People regarding her delivery, "I had a better experience this time around. I was able to do it completely natural, no drugs – and it was much shorter than Mason's birth, but by no means easy!"

Nick Hexum
Musician Nick Hexum from 311 delivered his daughter Maxine unassisted. They planned on a midwife, but his wife Nikki suddenly went into labor. In his interview with People he says, “After Max’s head popped out, the delivery stalled for the next couple of contractions. The baby’s head was blue and the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck... I reached my fingers in there and felt the shoulders and rotated the baby back and forth... And with the next contraction, Maxine slid out smoothly… I jiggled her around until I heard a ‘wahhh!’ It was an amazing moment.”

Felicity Huffman
Actress Felicity Huffman reportedly welcomed both of her daughters, Sofia and Georgia, at home supported by her husband and fellow actor William H. Macy. The pair have been together for 29 years.

Kristy Hume
Model Kirsty Hume welcomed her baby girl Violet at home, and described the experience of home-birth as "truly amazing".

Actor Orlando Bloom and wife Model Miranda Kerr had a natural birth.  She describes her natural birth to Daily Telegraph,
Miranda Kerr
“I’ve never been through so much pain, but I was totally present the entire time, focusing on my breath and meditating. I kept thinking, how do women do this? But if other women have done this, I can do it, too. I was determined. I actually thought I was going to die at one point and left my body. I felt as if I was looking down on myself – the pain was so intense. Then he came out and we met, and it was the best thing. I think once you go through something like that, nothing else fazes you – it puts everything into perspective.”

Stephen & Tabitha King
Aurtor Stephen King’s wife Tabitha had all three of their children at home. A quote from him that is featured in 'Ina May’s Guide To Childbirth'. King says, “Believe me, if you are told that some experience is going to hurt, it will hurt. Most pain is in the mind, and when a woman absorbs the idea that the act of giving birth is excruciatingly painful - when she gets this information from her mother, her sisters, her married friends, and her physician - that woman has been mentally prepared to feel great agony.”

AJ Langer
Actress AJ Langer had two home-births, she tells People, “When the pain hit the roof, I had the thought that in a matter of moments I was going to be sitting and holding my baby with a big fat smile on my face - a thought that seemed ridiculous to me at the time, but I knew it was true. And there we were, moments later. For me, home-birth was the only option and I am very glad I went with it. My body gave birth to two healthy babies, and I witnessed it. I will never resent my body again.”

Lucy Lawless
Actress Lucy Lawless "Xena" opted for a water-birth, believing it would make labor easier on both her and her child. Reported by New Weekly, "I wanted to have my baby as naturally as possible, nothing is more natural than having him in water. The baby is essentially floating in water for nine months to begin with, so it's a smoother transition when he's born."

Josie Maran
Model Josie Maran in an interview with Pure Mamas talks about her backyard home water-birth of her daughter Rumi where she was surrounded by family. “Pain...I’d say it was an 8, but it was wonderful pain. When Rumi was born, she couldn't breathe and turned blue. We called 911, afraid she was going to suffocate...” Her motherly instincts kicked in, she stayed calm and began singing to Rumi. “She immediately opened her eyes, began to breath and we connected for the first time. It was so cool."

Dave Matthews
Musician Dave Matthews and Ashley Harper’s son was born at home Dave told Rolling Stone, “We had him at home,
which was nice because I knew where the
beer was."

John & Nichole McGinley
Actor John McGinley’s wife Nichole, a doula and yoga instructor, gave birth to their daughter Billie Grace at a home water-birth. John tells People, "Nichole was a mountain lion, a warrior in the birthing process. The birth was astonishing!"

Alanis Morissette
Singer Alanis Morissette also had a home-birth in a pre-birth interview with WebMD she say, "Our intention is to do a natural birth at home, but I 'get' that the baby has his own intentions. I have an amazing midwife, and I'm using a doula. But we have a backup plan: I've called all the doctors and we'll be ready if something should happen."

Carrie Anne Moss
Actress Carrie Anne Moss in a letter to Stand and Deliver regarding her two natural births says, “I have had two babies using the care of a midwife, the first was delivered by the midwife in a hospital setting. The second baby was delivered in our home. With both experiences, the midwife made the pregnancy experience and birth so honored and beautiful.”

Thandie Newton
Actress Thandie Newton gave birth to both her girls at home in a birthing pool. In an interview with Sunday Times she says, “Birth is very challenging in the best way possible. Every fibre of your being is alive. It’s like you are conducting electricity; literally creating something. I’d like to give birth every year if I could, just for that experience.”

Kaitlin Olson
Actress Kaitlin Olson tells People, “I decided on a home-birth because I believe that as long as a pregnancy is normal and complication-free, your body knows what to do, and does not need medical intervention. I believe I’ll be most relaxed and feel safest in my home, with an amazing nurse-midwife monitoring the baby and me the entire time, of course.”

Busy Philipps
Busy Philipps posted on her website, “I had a natural childbirth, which was something that I felt very strongly about.... I was completely squatting and after my doctor got [Birdie’s] head and shoulders out she asked, “Do you want to pull your baby out? Give me your hands.”... It was an incredible experience. I also want other women to know it’s possible to have a crazy, spiritual, amazing birth in a hospital. I was in a hospital. I had a doctor. I was also lucky because I had an amazing team...”

Pink & Carey Hart
Singer Pink and husband Motorist Carey Hart, had planned a home-birth with midwives, but her fate took a different turn. She labored for two days at home with her breech baby. Pink told People, “She was in the frank breech position, which is head up with her legs up by her head in a pike position. We tried everything to turn her around. Turns out this little girl had other plans — she is my daughter, after all…It all turned out perfectly in the end, even though it wasn’t what we intended, because she is healthy and happy and so am I.” Sometimes C-Sections are necessary, this was one of those cases. Pink should be proud of her natural birth she did everything she could.

Maya Rudolph
Actress/Comedian Maya Rudolph never planned on having daughter at home, but it seems like the little one had a plan of her own. During an interview on Chelsea Lately, she says, “That was not my plan, but that’s what happened… because the baby came out really fast... Luckily, she just kind of glided into her father’s arms. It was scary, but it was kind of awesome. Hospitals make me nervous because I feel like hospital equals death, like it smells like dead people and weird fluids that pickle people.”

Meryl Streep & Family
Actress Meryl Streep has made it known that at least one of her four children were born at home but it has not been confirmed just how many were born at home.

Stella Tennant
Model Stella Tennant also gave birth at home with midwives. She says, “I am not afraid of hospital but I felt that if there were no complications with my pregnancy I would prefer to give birth in the familiar surroundings of my flat. I wanted to take as much responsibility as possible for the birth of my child.”






And the List Continues... (There are a lot more that are not listed here. Let me know of any I left out.)

~Actress Demi Moore with then husband Actor Bruce Willis had two of their children at home.
~Actress Julianne Moore had a home-birth with her daughter Liv in 2002.
~Actress Laura Dern and Musican Ben Harper’s second child was born at home.
~Actor Woody Harrellson and Laura Louie’s three daughters were all born at home.
~Actor Val Kilmer’s then wife Actress Joanne Whalley had a home-birth.
~Singer Kenny Loggins' wife Julia gave birth to their second child unassisted at home.
~Actress Paulina Porizkova gave birth to both of her children naturally.
~Actor Keifer Sutherland’s then wife Camelia Kath had a home-birth.
~Model Christy Turlington-Burns had two natural births at a birthing center with midwives.
~Actor John Travolta’s wife Actress Kelly Preston gave birth to their second child at home.
~Actor Noah Wylie’s wife Tracy gave birth at home.
~Actor Owen Wilson’s girlfriend Jade Duell, gave birth to their baby boy at home in the water.

1 comment:

  1. Lani thank you very much for placing this post on famous natural mothers on Natural Mothers Network's linky: Seasonal Celebration! You helped make Seasonal Celebration a wealth of intelligent, creative and resourceful information and it's been such a pleasure for me and many others to read through each post. I am really looking forward to seeing you again Sunday evening or Monday! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!